Think of a time when you tried to persuade someone to agree with you, change their mind, or do something you wanted. What were you trying to persuade them to do or believe? How did you use ethos, pathos, or logos to persuade them? Which appeal was most effective and why?

 Prompt Response: One time I tried to persuade someone to change their mind is when I wanted to do a 5 am workout class before school in Buckhead and my parents were against it because they felt it was dangerous to be out in the city at that time of day. I convinced them to let me go using the logic aspect of logos by explaining that I would be parked right next to the entrance of the building and only have to walk a few steps to get in. I also said that I agreed to not deal with parking and just let them pay a possible parking ticket so I wouldn't have to stand outside and deal with the meter. These precautions stemmed in logical reasoning made my parents feel better about me going to Buckhead very early and I got a great workout out of it!

Summary: Today we analyzed different ads and identified if it was primarily ethos, pathos, or logos. We continued with a class discussion about different situations that would be categorized as each of these things.

Reflection: This class helped me create a blueprint for the definitions of ethos, pathos and logos and allowed me to apply them to real world examples. The most interesting application for me was the political ads because we got to assess how people in the government run their campaigns through arguments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Describe one thing that makes you different from other people.

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?

Describe a time you felt completely lost.