Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.

 Prompt Response: One argument that I've had recently was with my dad about homecoming because I have a swim meet the same day in Alabama and he wanted me to skip homecoming and stay there for that night. I was very upset about this because I only have two more homecomings left and it's one of my favorite times of year. I asked him why he hadn't told me earlier because he had known for a while and only now told me. This placement of blame upset him and he was beginning to close off to the idea of homecoming at all. Luckily we worked together to figure out a plan that I could do both but if I could do it again instead of immediately asking why he had withheld this information for so long I would immediately ask him if there were ways we could brainstorm together on how to get the best of both worlds. This relates to Chapter 3 of the textbook about tenses and how you present your goal, if I had not placed blame and go into the past tense we could've avoided a fight and furthermore in the end we discussed future tense and how I could compete in my meet as well as attend homecoming, which resulted in much better outcomes.

Summary: Today in class we discussed rhetoric and different ways to approach and win an argument through different lenses. We looked at examples such as getting out of a ticket or how to seduce your partner. We also discussed tenses and their association with blame, values and choice. 

Reflection: I liked the real world examples we looked at such as getting out of a parking ticket because I thought they were not only humorous and made the lesson more interesting but also provided us with some framework on how to apply argumentation outside of school because rhetoric is not limited, it occurs everywhere.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Describe one thing that makes you different from other people.

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?

Describe a time you felt completely lost.