How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?

 Prompt Response: Living in Atlanta has influenced my perception of culture and identity because I believe that the city is extremely diverse and allows different people to express themselves freely. I believe this differs from other parts of Georgia because I live in an area and go to a school where different cultures and ethnicities to mine are very common so I am not surprised when I see a practice or tradition that I don't personally participate in. If I were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta I would want them to understand that Atlanta is somewhere you are able to express yourself more freely and have plenty of opportunities to associate yourself with a community who share similar interests to you.

Summary: Today in class we looked at a speech by Mayor Bottoms about the violent protests happening in response to the murder of George Floyd. We also completed a packet analyzing the different rhetorical situations in her speech and identified certain words and phrases she used and how it influenced the format and structure of the speech.

Reflection: Today's lesson was very emotional and deep especially watching the videos at the beginning of the protests following George Floyd's murder and reminds me we will be discussing deep topics in this class. I really enjoyed Mayor Bottoms' speech and I feel like she did a very good job using ethos, pathos, and logos to reach her target audience and the phrases she used in her structure did a successful job in conveying her thoughts and purpose of the speech.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Describe one thing that makes you different from other people.

Think about a time when you made a claim or gave an opinion, but someone asked you, “Why?” or “How do you know?” Describe the situation. What evidence did you use to support your point, and why is explaining your evidence just as important as providing it?

Describe a time you felt completely lost.