As you grow older and face new experiences, what issue or topic do you think you'll have to stand up and debate most often, whether with friends, family, or society?
Prompt Response: As I grow older, specifically in the next year when I turn 18, I think a topic I will find myself debating with myself as well as my family is politics. I understand that when I become an adult I have the right and responsibility to vote and that is very important to me. However, my family is extremely divided politically with my family leaning to the left and my mom's sister's family leaning far right. Sometimes I find myself in the middle of their arguments about elections or current events and feel the pressure to conform to one side of the other. However, as I mature through life I want to make it my goal to try to make the choices I think are right and not let my family control or dictate my political voice.
Summary:
Today we discussed what defines an argument and that anything can become an argument given you state your claim and provide evidence. We covered rhetoric and the rhetorical triangle as well as how it connects to ethos, pathos, and logos. After we defined these terms, we discussed things in the world we thought were universal and came up with facial expressions and the concept that murdering an innocent person is wrong.
Reflection:
One thing I found interesting about today's lesson is that an argument is not mutually exclusive to persuasion. I learned that while arguments can implicitly be persuasive, they are not rigidly designed nor have the guaranteed outcome of moving people to act.
Comments
Post a Comment